// Twitter Cards // Prexisting Head The Biologist Is In: Botanizing in Alaska: Alpine Blueberry

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Botanizing in Alaska: Alpine Blueberry

Small blueberry bush with unripe green berries.
The Alpine Blueberry (Vaccinium uliginosum) grows throughout Alaska. I took this photo during midsummer. The berries ripen during fall, so I didn't get any on the trip when I took the photo.

The ripe berries are well-regarded by humans and bears alike. Both can be found collecting them along roadsides in the fall. Ideally not in the same place at the same time, but you have to keep aware of your surroundings while berry picking in case you're lucky/unlucky.



On a more recent trip than when I took this photo, I was lucky enough to find plenty of ripe blueberries to pick as well as a black bear filling itself on blueberries. I was especially lucky in that the two of us were picking berries in different places.

Within each berry are several tiny seeds. The seeds need a period of cold moist stratification before they will germinate effectively. I'll be planting a batch of seeds in a pot outside to see if I can get any plants to grow next year.

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment