// Twitter Cards // Prexisting Head The Biologist Is In: Botanizing in Alaska: Claytoniella bostockii

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Botanizing in Alaska: Claytoniella bostockii

I've previously posted about a couple of plants from a shattered-rock slope we encountered outside of Fairbanks (the-biologist-is-in.blogspot.com/2015/07/botanizing-in-alaska-dwarf-birch.html; the-biologist-is-in.blogspot.com/2015/07/botanizing-in-alaska-mountain-avens.html). Though I had taken a break from posts about the biology I encountered on my Alaska trip, there remain still several to go from this site alone.

This particular plant was Marie's favorite. I was eventually able to identify it as Claytoniella bostockii, a plant in the Purslane family (Portulacea). It is a native plant to the area, but doesn't seem to have any common names in English.

It appears to grow perennially, regenerating from roots every year. There were many small plants in addition to ones as large as seen in the second photo, which presumably took several years to grow. I'm certain there are biologically interesting things about this plant, but I didn't spend any real time examining the actual plants so I can't add to the paltry amount of information available online. Maybe on the next trip, I'll take better notes.


References:

No comments:

Post a Comment